Q-school leader criticizes PGA Tour card rules that could work in his favor

Last fall, the PGA Tour approved major changes to its membership rules, reducing the total number of PGA Tour cards and the amount of incentives awarded to the Korn Ferry Tour’s top players.
As we reach the halfway point of this week’s PGA Tour Q-School finals, pro Trevor Cone is looking to win one of five PGA Tour cards.
but in comments golfweek After Friday’s second round, Cohen criticized Q-School rules on the PGA Tour card that could help him return to the majors on Sunday.
Surprisingly, Cohen doesn’t think PGA Tour cards should be issued this week.
Here’s what you should know.
Major PGA Tour changes impact Q-School for first time
The 2026 PGA Tour season will be the first to be affected by major tour changes that take effect this year.
First, only 100 full PGA Tour cards will be issued, a significant reduction from the previous 125 Tour cards.
The Korn Ferry Tour is undoubtedly the most affected by this change.
The PGA Tour just approved major changes. Here are 6 things you need to know
go through:
James Colgan
Throughout the 2024 season, the top 30 players on the Korn Ferry Tour standings for the entire season will receive PGA Tour cards. But under the new rules, only the top 20 players on the Korn Ferry Tour can receive tour cards for the 2026 season, a 33% reduction.
This had a direct but less dramatic impact on qualifying schools. Previously, the top five and tied players in the Q-School finals will receive tour cards for next season. Starting this year, only the top five players (excluding ties) can advance to the PGA Tour.
Cone, who tied for the 36-hole lead in this week’s Q-School finals, knows this.
Trevor Cone says Q-School should not issue PGA Tour cards
Cohen is familiar with the intense battle to win a PGA Tour card. This isn’t his first time competing.
He initially received full Tour eligibility for the 2022-23 season, but finished 162nd in the FedExCup and lost his 2024 Tour card. But Cohen was undaunted. In 2024, he returned to the Korn Ferry Tour and performed well, finishing 27th in the year-end standings.
As mentioned previously, 2024 is the last season for the top 30 players on the Korn Ferry Tour to receive PGA Tour cards. The number is now 20. If the rule had been implemented a year earlier, Cohen would not have received a 2025 PGA Tour card.
‘I hate hearing this:’ Pro’s birdie costs 2 friends their PGA Tour cards
go through:
Kevin Cunningham
Unfortunately for Cohen, his second start on the PGA Tour didn’t go so well. He missed 15 cuts and finished 178th in the FedExCup standings, once again ineligible for all PGA Tour events.
His last chance to return to the PGA Tour was at Q-School, and so far, he’s done just that. After shooting a 68 in the first round at Day Valley, he shot a 65 to get to 5 under. That left him in a five-way tie for the lead with 36 holes remaining. In other words, he has obtained a PGA Tour card for the third time so far.
But if it were up to him, he wouldn’t get a PGA Tour card this week. This is how he explained it golfweek Adam Schupak Friday night.
“It pains me to say this, given where I’m at this week,” Cohen told reporters. golfweek“I think if you go back to 25 [PGA Tour cards awarded on the Korn Ferry Tour] And running this tournament strictly for Korn Ferry status, in my opinion, would be a better choice. “
In other words, Cohen believes a fairer system would see the top 25 players on the Korn Ferry Tour receive PGA Tour cards, rather than the 20 players under the new rules. Therefore, Q-School will not issue any tour cards, but only eligibility for the next Korn Ferry Tour season.
“I think there should be only Korn Ferry Tour qualifying cards,” he reiterated his view.
Interestingly, Cohen spoke from a position of authority. He serves as a member of the PGA Tour’s Player Advisory Council for the 2025 season, one year after the new rules were finalized.
You can read all of Schupak’s comments in Cone’s article golfweek Report here.
”>



