Basketball News

Rockets’ Fred Vanvleet

Sources told ESPN’s Shams Charania on Monday that Houston Rockets star point guard Fred Vanvleet suffered a torn ACL and could miss the entire 2025-26 NBA season.

Rockets’ Fred Vanvleet undergoes surgery on right knee

Kelly Iko of Per Yahoo Sports, Vanvleet suffered a correct knee injury at a small training camp for an unofficial team in the Bahamas. iko added that the All-Star and 2019 NBA champions will undergo surgery this week.

Vanvleet, 31, joined the Rockets in a three-year, $150 million contract during the 2023 offseason. Unselected defenders helped Houston increase its 22 wins to 41 in the first year.

The Rockets then won 52 games last season, finishing second in the Western Conference, ending a four-year playoff drought. However, Houston was eliminated by the Golden State Warriors in Game 7 of the first round playoff series.

In 60 games last season (all starts), Vanvleet averaged 14.1 points, 3.7 rebounds, 5.6 assists, 1.6 steals and 35.2 minutes of games while shooting 37.8% and shooting 34.5% in the 3-point field.

His average score in 2024-25 was the lowest in a season since 2018-19, but he scored 43% in the playoffs with 43% shots and 43.5% in Deep.

Houston also rejected Vanvleet’s $44.9 million team option for next season in June. Wichita State Product then signed a two-year, $50 million extension that includes a 2026-27 player option.

With this latest news, Aaron may see more playing time in the backcourt rotation during the holiday season.

Vanvleet will play with Kevin Durant

If not for injury, Van Vilit will play with future Hall of Famer Kevin Durant this season. Houston won part of the historic seven-team trade on July 6, earning two final MVPs from Phoenix.

ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reported in August that Durant and the Rockets had a new contract this summer, but the two sides have not reached an agreement.

“The Rockets and Durant have discussed the new contract and think they will reach an agreement, but they have not reached an agreement yet,” the source said.

“Durant, like it [LeBron] James is no longer seen as the core, as Houston revolves around the young player core that has been obtained through the draft. ”

Durant, who turned 37 on Sept. 29, will earn $54.7 million in the upcoming 2025-26 campaign, the final season of a four-year contract worth $194.21 million, became a member of the Brooklyn Nets in 2021.

ESPN’s Tim MacMahon reported last month that if Houston does decide to expand Durant this offseason, it may not be the top contract for two years, $122 million.



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button