Flame News and Rumors: Dube, Parek, Hoberdo, etc. – Hockey Writer – Calgary Flame

In this week’s Calgary Flames news and rumors, General Manager Craig Conroy made it clear that the organization would not welcome Dillon Dube. In other news, Zayne Parekh is well aware of the eyes of this year’s training camp. Meanwhile, Jonathan Huberdeau recently made some comments after missing team skating games, which was not good for the fan base. Last but not least, Mikael Backlund signed a two-year contract.
Dube won’t return to the flames
Despite being acquitted recently at a Canadian hockey sexual assault trial, the flames will not bring back Dillon Dube. The 27-year-old can formally sign a contract with Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Alex Formenton and Cal Foote and qualify for a return to the NHL action on December 1. But despite the ruling, the Flames closed the door on a potential reunion with Dube.
Related: Conroy
“I think Dillon might just need a fresh start,” Conroy replied when asked if he was interested in the party.
Dube spent the entire 325 NHL games with flames. He was last fit to join the team in the 2023-24 season and then left due to a well-documented trial of sexual assault. It is believed that he and others who are other trials will gain the benefit of the NHL, although it is obvious that the left and right move will not be welcomed by the time being.
Parekh embraces stress
If he sorts out a good training camp, Zayne Parekh will be part of the Flames this season. After 2024-25 with Saginaw Spirit to reach 33 goals and 107 points, the precious 19-year-old prospect is not proven in junior hockey level one. It was an exciting realization for Parekh, despite the heavy pressure. Thankfully, he seemed very willing to embrace it.
“You have to put pressure on yourself. If you don’t do that, there’s nothing to get your footsteps on your toes and keep yourself ready,” Parek told reporters last week. “I feel a little stressed, but I want this, I want this. That’s why I do that.”
Parekh is seen as the highest prospect for the Flames since he ranked ninth in the 2024 draft. With Rasmus Andersson’s trade likely to take place before or before the 2026 deadline, Parekh may play a bigger role on the right than fans expected.
On the second day of last week’s training camp, Jonathan Huberdeau was obviously free of ice. After some initial confusion, Flame declared it was maintenance day for veterans forwards, although the 32-year-old himself had all the fun with the situation when he spoke to reporters later.
Related: Fire News & Rumors: Zacha, Wolf, Andersson, etc.
“Just woke up and didn’t like skating, so I didn’t skate,” Hoberdo said. “That’s what happened.”
Although these comments are very ironic, given that Huberdeau’s tenure in the flames has not been a very successful review so far, they have received some reviews. He still had six years of salary on a contract that lasted $10.5 million in blocks during the 62-point season.
Rebound has been extended for 2 years
The flames stood out again early last week as they announced Mikael Backlund agreed to a two-year $6.5 million deal. Captain Flames has a year left on his previous contract, with a cap of $4.5 million, meaning his recent extension doesn’t begin until the 2026-27 season.

Backlund will enter Captain Flames’ third season, scoring 15 goals and 32 points in 76 games in 2024-25. Despite being 36, he is still a reliable two-way, mid-six forward, expected to play a similar role this season.
Looking forward to the flame
The week’s schedule has three games, with the first one against Seattle Kraken on Tuesday. They will then face the Vancouver Canucks on Wednesday before heading to Winnipeg to beat the Jets on Saturday. They had a total of six preseason games before their season opener against the Edmonton Oilers on October 8.




