Eastern notes: Bichette, Rays, Scott

and Beau Bichette back on the list blue jays When he challenged the Dodgers in the World Series, it didn’t take long for him to be asked about his impending free agency. As Sportsnet’s Ben Nicholson-Smith noted, Bichette generally felt the issue was something he didn’t have time to think about during the World Series, though he admitted his “Target” He would spend the rest of his career with the Blue Jays.
This is nothing new, as Bichette has long expressed a desire to spend his entire career in a Blue Jays uniform. Bichette has previously said he wants to play for just one team for his entire career and has the ability to do that with his long-time teammates Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Guerrero received his own contract extension earlier this year, which certainly makes the idea of staying in Toronto that much more appealing. Having said that, as of April, there had been no contract extension talks between Bichette and the club’s hierarchy.
Sure, maybe there have been some discussions over the next few months, but with only a few days left in free agency, it seems almost certain that Bichette will hit the open market without signing an extension. Of course, that doesn’t mean he can’t be re-signed, but the Blue Jays won’t be his only suitors once he’s available to play for all 30 clubs, and it’s unclear whether Toronto is willing to add another major contract after signing Guerrero to a $500 million extension.
More from the MLB East Division…
- this ray Now likely operating under new ownership, they still face significant stadium uncertainty due to the club’s recent failed stadium deal and the damage caused to Tropicana Stadium by Hurricane Milton last year. While it’s impossible to expect a meaningful update on long-term stadium solutions just a month into Patrick Zalupski’s tenure as controller, commissioner Rob Manfred did tell reporters ahead of Game 2 of the World Series yesterday (paraphrased by Mark Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times) “Full of hope” Troupe Field will be ready for Tampa’s first home game, scheduled to begin on April 6. While Manfred didn’t seem to leave the door open to the possibility of the stadium being ready for these games, he said “It will definitely be ready early this year.” That’s good news for the Rays, who have been forced to play home games at minor league ballparks this year due to damage to the Troupe River.
- Speaking of the National League, Will Sammon of The Athletic wrote: metropolis teenager Christian Scott He’s nearing the end of his recovery program after Tommy John surgery. The 26-year-old Scott made his major league debut last year, posting a 4.56 ERA in nine starts, but has not pitched in an official game at any level since. However, he enters 2024 as a fringe 100 prospect, and Salmon said the right-hander could be another young player in the Mets’ rotation next year, alongside players like Don Jona and Brandon Sprott. That being said, at least one significant rotation option will likely be added this winter, which could make it difficult for the right-hander to find consistent starting opportunities without a series of injuries creating opportunities.



