Tennis News

Wimbledon 2025 results: Mixed Tag Team Champion Says “Heart Bleeding” on U.S. Open Format Change

Wimbledon mixed doubles champion Sem Verbeek said he had a “heart bleeding” over changes in the U.S. Open format, meaning he and partner Katerina Siniakova won’t be able to play together there.

The duo beat Britain’s Joe Salisbury and Brazilian partner Luisa Stefani 7-6 (7-3) 7-6 (7-3) in Thursday’s Central Court final.

Starting this year, the U.S. Open will be playing a mixed doubles match as an independent event before the Grand Slam begins to attract top singles players.

The new look event has announced several compelling partnerships, including UK No. 1 Emma Raducanu and two-time Wimbledon champion Carlos Alcaraz.

But that means that the vast majority of doubles experts will miss the matches in New York mixed races.

“What a pity,” Czech Siniakova, the number one in women’s doubles, told the BBC Sport.

“I think it’s a marketing step, but they’re taking [away the] Opportunities for doubles players. ”

Dutchman Verbeek agreed: “Just like two athletes willing to compete, it’s obvious that it’s a pity to know we can’t do it.

“I won’t actively take root in this because it won’t be successful. What I can think of is that there are more people who can see top stars earlier in the tournament and it may be easier for the public to get it.

“But when I was a doubles athlete, my heart was bleeding.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button